Textiles in the Landscape Final
Artist's Statement
For this textile in the landscape project I was interested in exploring a not-so-commonly discussed part of our city of Saint Augustine, and that the sex shop/sex life part of this town. Saint Augustine is known as the City of God, and so riotous it is! But for those who live a more liberal lifestyle it's hard to find a sex-positive atmosphere. I wanted to focus on my piece having a discussion with the adults-only side of our town as well as the greater objectification of women and my personal place within that. We don't have a strip club here in this city, but I couldn't think of a more perfect motif of a hyper sexualized female than a bleach blonde stripper with big breasts. When I made this piece I really found myself debating if I was projecting onto this cartoonish woman or if I was objectifying other women's lifestyles; I still don't know if I have the answer to that!
Comments
Post a Comment