Personal Project Final

 Artist's Statement

    When beginning this project I knew I wanted to created a couple soft sculptures that would communicate with each other. I was highly inspired by the artist Alexis E. Mabry and her soft sculpture work that distorts everyday household items. I ran with this idea and expanded on it to create a unique concept that relates to my life experiences. I was a cigarette smoker for 4 years and it took a massive toll on my physical and mental health, but I was able to quit a year ago. When I quit I noticed myself being drawn to even just the imagery of cigarettes, Marlboros in particular because those were what I smoked. Taking this negative imagery association and making it into a cute oversized soft pillow and adjacent matchbox was definitely a sort of coping mechanism.  I also believe the use of the pastel natural dyes worked to create a more gentle feeling composition for these pieces. 

Final Images






Comments